About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is one of those series that I'd been wanting to read for quite a while now. I owned all three books and meant to try and get to them before the movie adaptation was released, but I never found the time. The movie ended up being a flop, I got busy with other books I wanted to read, and this series faded into the background for me. With one of my Popsugar challenge categories being to "read the first book in a series you haven't read before," I figured that now was the time to pick this one up.

The story begins with a sixteen-year-old kid named Jacob reaching a turning point in his life. He discovers the body of his much-loved grandfather in the woods as he is dying from a brutal attack. His grandfather's mysterious last words launch him on a quest that brings him to a very curious island in search of any information that could help explain what happened. What he finds there are a group of "peculiar" children, and their enigmatic leader Miss Peregrine. These children, and Miss Peregrine herself, all posses supernatural powers. Invisibility, super strength, and the ability to create and control fire number among their many talents. They have an old connection to Jacob's grandfather, and as Jacob investigates their relationship, he finds himself becoming inextricably involved in their unusual and idyllic world as well. However, everything on the island is not as it seems, and when the group is threatened by a dangerous enemy he must act to honor his grandfather and try to protect his new friends.

This novel was actually much better than I was expecting. It's packed with fantasy elements, including monsters, superhuman powers, and time travel. There's more than enough to keep a fantasy fan engaged. In addition to that, the story is complex and suspenseful. There's more to Peculiar Children than meets the eye. It's not just about a bunch of kids with powers. It deals with questions about family relationships, bravery, and self-discovery. In between all the magic and wonder, there were some rather serious and sad moments. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one.

One of the unique features of the novel was the inclusion of several vintage photographs. The photos are explained as having belonged to Jacob's grandfather and Miss Peregrine, and they are woven into the story as being images of the Peculiar children. Each time Jacob would come across a photo, it would be printed on the next page for the reader to actually see. The pictures help establish a creepy tone and add visual interest to the story. While their inclusion sometimes felt a bit forced, I think the overall effect was worth any bits of awkwardness in the writing.

Aside from a handful of moments that dragged, I really liked reading Peculiar Children. It was a solid story that was deep enough to be of interest to younger and older readers alike. This novel is part of a trilogy, and I am working on the second book now. I've been told that the series drops off after book one, but I'm hoping that I don't end up feeling that way. In any case, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was a little hidden gem for me. It was sitting on my bookshelf for years, and I didn't really expect much from it, but it ended up being a great read.


Challenge Tally
Popsugar Challenge: (the first book in a series you haven't read before) 22/40
Mount TBR: (previously owned) 17/60


2 comments:

  1. I had the same reaction as you. A pleasant surprise. And I think Hollow City and Library of Souls are even better.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?