About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Back to the Classics 2017 - Complete!

 Image from Karen K. at Books and Chocolate

One of the challenges that I participated in this year was the Back to the Classics Challenge hosted by Karen K. at Books and Chocolate. I am happy to report that I finished all of the categories this year - two months early! This means that I get three entries in the prize drawing, but of course, the all of the reading that I did for this is its own reward.

Here's the breakdown of everything I read:

1. A 19th Century Classic: Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)
2. A 20th Century Classic: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (1963)
3. A Classic by a Woman Author: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (1943)
4A Classic in Translation: Germinal by Émile Zola (1885)
5. A Classic Published Before 1800: King Lear by William Shakespeare (c. 1606) 
6. A Romance Classic: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)
7. A Gothic or Horror Classic: Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)
8. A Classic with a Number in the Title: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961)
9. A Classic about an Animal: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (1877)
10. A Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (1937)
11. An Award-Winning Classic: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1963)
12. A Russian Classic: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1866)

Contact info for Karen (just in case I win the prize): quiet.kristina[at]gmail[dot]com

My favorite read of the bunch this year was probably The Bell Jar, but Germinal, King Lear, and Black Beauty were serious considerations for my top pick. I made some good choices here! My least favorite was Crime and Punishment, but even so, I didn't actively dislike anything I picked up.

As usual, I loved taking part in this challenge and I hope to continue on with it next year. Thank you Karen, for running a fun, low-key challenge that helps me to read more classic novels every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?