About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Poorly Drawn Lines by Reza Farazmand



I picked up Poorly Drawn Lines on a whim at Target a few days ago. I hadn't heard of the web comic it comes from before, but the cover art caught my eye and drew me in. I flipped through it and read a few of the comics. It made me laugh, so I took it home.

Poorly Drawn Lines is a collection of short comics and essays featuring a cast of human and animal characters. There is no overall narrative to the book; each piece is its own separate, absurd little scenario. Farazmand uses sarcasm, dark humor, and a healthy amount of swearing throughout, and the accompanying simple illustrations are a good match to the jokes. No important issues or themes are explored here, rather, the comics are a fun way to spend a little bit of time, laughing at some ridiculousness.


The humor in this collection was right up my alley, so I found myself snickering a lot as I read. It took less than an hour to finish, and I considered it time well spent. Anything that can brighten up my day that much is worth the $20. It wasn't a perfect novel, however. There was an over-reliance on swearing that led many of the comics to feel repetitive, and I felt like there could have been a bit more cleverness present overall, but I enjoyed myself anyway.


As this was a short work,  I don't have much more to add to this review. Poorly Drawn Lines was a pleasant diversion and I'm glad to have a copy hanging around to laugh over later and share with friends.  It was funny, and a good time, and that's about as much as you can ask from a book like this. 


Challenge Tally
Finally in 2019: 13/6 Books Read - Complete!

Total Books Read in 2019: 26



No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?