About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Thursday, April 30, 2020

April Wrap Up



We are at the end of April, and I must say that I am ready to move onto May. This was not a great reading month for me. Despite being home for the entire month, I only managed to read five books, two of which were extremely long and not enjoyable. I'm ready to start fresh with a new TBR list. First, however, let's review what I managed to finish.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky
The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser
Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

My best read of the month was, once again, my nonfiction pick. Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser was a very well-written exploration of the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder, and reading it really helped put the Little House series, which I read last month, into perspective. I started telling my husband so many facts about Wilder that I'm pretty sure he was ready to leave me.

My most disappointing read was definitely Imaginary Friend, which I found to be overly-long, oddly religious, and poorly written. This is the first book I have read this year that I really hated, which was disappointing, because Chbosky's other novel is one of my favorite books of all time.

I also didn't enjoy Moby-Dick much, as its multiple chapters on the science and industry of whales were extremely boring.

I am hoping that my TBR for May is more successful. There was one book that I planned to read in April that I didn't get to (My Dark Vanessa), so I am including it here again. Here's the plan:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
Educated by Tara Westover
The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton
The Lost Girl by D.H. Lawrence
My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

Nothing here is super-long, so I'm hoping to maybe sneak in a few more along the way. The one good thing about all the social distancing we're doing now is that there is plenty of time to read.

1 comment:

  1. We do have more time to read these days which is one good thing for sure...now if only I had access to my library so I could finally read all those books I've been meaning to get to for the past few years...then it'd be an even shinier silver lining. :)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?