About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

 

*This review will contain spoilers for the first book in this duology, Six of Crows*

After reading and being thoroughly impressed by Six of Crows, I moved on to read its sequel, Crooked Kingdom, right away. I was so engaged with the first story that I was actually a little bit nervous to start it. My experience with reading series is that the first book is usually the best, then the subsequent books taper off in quality. That's definitely not always the case, but I seem to feel that way a lot. I didn't want to spoil my enjoyable experience of the first novel with a conclusion that was only so-so. I had to know how everything ended though, so I started my reading really hoping that the end of this duology would give me an exciting and satisfying conclusion. 

The plot of the novel picks up close to where Six of Crows left off. Kaz and his team have just returned back to Ketterdam from their impossible heist successfully, only to be double-crossed by the wealthy merchant Jan Van Eck. There is no massive payout as they were promised, they are all in a weakened state from their ordeal, and Inej has been taken hostage. Furious at the broken deal, Kaz's mission has now shifted to one of vengeance. He needs to get Inej back, and then find a way to bring down Van Eck and get the millions they are owed. 

Complicating the issue is the larger social and political problems they have become involved in during their participation in the initial heist. Now they all know about the disastrous effects of the drug Jurda Parem, and the various plans in place from the surrounding governments to secure it. They've managed to hold onto Kuwei Yul Bo, the only person alive who might still be able to fabricate it, and they aren't sure what the best move to make with him is. They are a young band of mercenaries and thieves, and they've found themselves having a direct hand in weighty matters that could spread death, destruction, and economic collapse across their country. 

Kaz, as always, is mainly focused on his own needs, but even he feels a pull to act responsibly, along with the rest of the team. Everyone has their own motivations and hopes for the future, and even though Kaz has trouble connecting emotionally with people, he wants to give everyone a path towards their goals. Nina has plans to return to Ravka and help rebuild her country. Matthias feels a call to help stop the Fjerdan persecution of Grisha. Jesper needs to decide whether to embrace his Grisha abilities and pay off his debt to his father. Wylan needs to build an entirely new life for himself after his father's betrayal. Inej wants to get a ship and help end slavery and human trafficking in Ketterdam. Everyone needs something different, and their ability to move on in their lives depends on Kaz's ability to come up with a good enough plan to save all of their necks and put money in their pockets. Luckily, he's up to the task. Up against insurmountable odds once again, the group must come together to pull off an even bigger job than before--one that will give them the pleasure of revenge and the thrill of securing their fortunes without allowing the world to fall into chaos.

Much like with the first book in the series, I really enjoyed this one. I didn't end up feeling like it was weaker than Six of Crows at all. In fact, I thought it was a very worthy successor and a great end to the duology. The plot was exciting and well-developed, the action sequences were suspenseful, and the characters continued to be complex and interesting to read about. Once again, I was totally engaged in the story. This was another surprisingly good young adult fantasy novel.

Much like with the other books in the Grishaverse, Bardugo did an excellent job of bringing the vice and crime-filled city of Ketterdam to life. She gives so many rich details about the place that it truly feels like another character in the story. It affects Kaz and the rest of the gang in different ways. For some it is a challenge to master, full of fun, risks, and rewards. For others, it's a place of imprisonment and trauma. For others, it's a birthright they're meant to inherit. Each character's behavior is influenced by it in ways that add a lot of layers to the story. Sometimes, when I read a fantasy, I feel like it could take place anywhere and the story wouldn't really change. That is not the case here. The worldbuilding took me away to another place entirely and provided a great backbone for the plot.

I also continued to be impressed with the character development. Much like with the previous book, I wasn't bored with any of the characters and enjoyed reading the different perspectives presented between chapters. I actually got a little emotional at some of the things that happened, and I haven't felt many strong emotions while reading fantasy in a long time. I appreciated that all of the characters had such detailed backstories and motivations that drove their choices, and their issues felt genuine and understandable. I liked that Bardugo included relatable struggles and social issues into the story as well, and didn't just lean on problems caused by magic. PTSD, learning disabilities, and addiction all played a part in the plot. Seeing real world elements mixed in with all the fantasy was cool. It was a nice balance.

All in all, Crooked Kingdom was a really well crafted, thoughtful novel with compelling characters. It is much better than a young adult fantasy has any business being, and I'm really glad I continued on with the series after reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy. This duology is superior to those, although I would still recommend giving that original trilogy a read first. There is another duology set in this universe, and I could see myself giving it a try eventually, but right now I've got to get back to my classics for a little while. This was a fun adventure and a nice break from all the more somber reads I have on my TBR list. 
     

Challenge Tally
Clear the Shelves 2021: 16/50 (keep)

Total Books Read in 2021: 32





No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?