About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Anne of West Philly by Ivy Noelle Weir and Myisha Haynes

 


I went with my family on a trip to Niagra Falls a few weeks ago. It was a great trip, and the falls were definitely beautiful, but it did cut into my reading time. To make sure I got at least a little bit of reading in while I was away, I brought along some graphic novels. The first one I read was Ivy Noelle Weir and Myisha Haynes' Anne of West Philly. As you might guess from the title, this is a modernized, graphic novel retelling of Anne of Green Gables. It's the third in a series of reimagined classics for middle grades readers that have come out recently. I have already read and loved Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy, and The Secret Garden on 81st Street, so I couldn't imagine not loving this one too. Plus, Anne of Green Gables is a story that is already near and dear to my heart, so this was the perfect blend of old and new for me. I read it in the back of the car and in our hotel room over the course of a few days, and as expected, I enjoyed it very much.

The plot follows the story of plucky orphan Anne Shirley. She is adopted by brother and sister Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert at the start of the story, and her dreamy and dramatic worldview endears her to them almost immediately. As she settles in with her new family, she has to handle hurdles like making new friends, fitting in at her school, and dealing with a pesky boy. Her exuberance and creativity get her into one scrape after another, but her winsome personality and enthusiastic spirit help her overcome them. She makes a best friend in a neighbor girl named Diana Barry and finds a passion in coding in her school's computer club. By the end of the story, she is flourishing and happy. With Matthew and Marilla's guidance she's finally found where she belongs.

This version of Anne of Green Gables had all the heart and sweetness of the original. Anne is still joyful, imaginative, and unique. Diana is still the kind of best friend kids dream of having. Matthew and Marilla are still curmudgeonly and loving in equal measure. All the classic moments from the novel are there too, but with modern twists that bring them up to date. The illustrations are also beautiful, and do a nice job of making the new setting of West Philly seem just as magical and full of possibilities as Green Gables. There's really nothing not to like about this book, and it's a wonderful way to get kids interested in a classic story.

This ended up being the perfect book to bring along on my vacation. It's easy to read, extremely sweet, and a fitting tribute to one of the best children's classics of all time. I can see myself recommending this to students over and over again. I'm really hoping that more books come out in this series in the future, as I've loved everything they've done so far. 


Challenge Tally

Middle Grade Mission: 25/24 - Finished!  

Total Books Read in 2022: 77




No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?