About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

December 2016 Wrap Up

Image from Popsugar.com

 My month of reading award-winning novels has come to an end, and with it, my year of reading books inspired by monthly themes. It's the end of a really fun journey, but I'll talk more about that in a different post.

I didn't read a large amount of books this month, but what I did read was fantastic. Seeking out novels that have won awards seems to be a very reliable way to find new favorites. Reading them is generally an emotional experience, however, so you have to be in the right mood when picking up one of these.

Books Read:
Inside Out and Back Again by Thannha Lai
Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr


Best of the Month: All the Light We Cannot See

Worst of the Month: There were no worsts! Everything was awesome.

In my future reading endeavors, I'm definitely going to pay more attention to the books that win awards. I've responded very favorably to these this month, and I look forward to experiencing more literary greatness in the new year. I've already slated the Pulitzer Prize winner from 2016, The Sympathizer, as one of my reads for January (since I didn't have time to squeeze it in this month and I really want to get to it).

I'm not trying to say that only award-winning novels are worth reading, and I'm not trying to turn into some sort of book snob. However, I have found that I usually do like the books that end up with a shiny medal on their covers. This month really taught me that I should keep up to date on what's going on in the world of literature so that I can find new, complex, emotional literature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?