About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

everyone's a aliebn when ur a aliebn too by Jomny Sun





After the intense, difficult experience that was Ulysses, I really wanted to read something light. I decided on a graphic novel that I bought a few months ago and never got around to reading, the curiously named everyone's a aliebn when ur a aliebn too by Jomny Sun. I first heard about it through a YouTube review and it sounded really interesting and heartwarming. Excited to read something that didn't require a Ph.D. in literature to understand, I dove in.

everyone's a aliebn when ur a aliebn too follows a cute little alien who is sent to earth on a mission to learn all he can about humans. He wanders around and talks to every creature he sees, including a tree, a bird, a bear, and a swarm of bees. He assumes all of them are different kinds of humans and he asks them all sorts of questions about their lives. Their answers are simple and surprisingly deep. They talk about happiness, sadness, self-discovery and achieving your goals. The alien stays on earth for quite a long time learning about these "humans" until he is called back home.

I really, truly enjoyed this novel. The simple, black and white illustrations were charming, the little typos and grammatical mistakes added character, and the themes of acceptance and positivity were a joy to explore. It was sweet and uplifting and exactly the little bit of happiness I needed. This is the kind of book that makes you feel good when you read it, and I can definitely see myself returning to it whenever I need a pick-me-up in the future.

Aliebn is an extremely quick read. I finished in less than an hour, but it was time very well spent. What's better than a whole story about kindness and encouragement? It has definitely become a new favorite for me and I can already see myself recommending it to all my friends. This was such a nice story to read after Ulysses!


Challenge Tally

Total Books Read in 2018: 40




No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?