About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Friday, February 28, 2020

February Wrap Up



February was a pretty good reading month for me! I ended up reading a lot of things I enjoyed, and I even discovered a new favorite. Here's the breakdown:

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (5/5 stars)
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (5/5 stars)
They Called Us Enemy by George Takei (4/5 stars)
Black Boy by Richard Wright (4/5 stars)
Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka (4/5 stars)
The Financier by Theodore Dreiser (2/5 stars)

My favorite read of the month was The Starless Sea. I was so pleased that I found this novel to be just as good as Erin Morgenstern's first novel. It was a beautifully written adventure with books and reading celebrated on every page. I loved it.

My least favorite read was definitely Theodore Dreiser's The Financier. It wasn't terrible, but its slow pacing made it feel very long. Its overall theme was a little bit murky too, leaving me puzzled at the end.

It was a good month for graphic novels, with They Called Us Enemy and Hey, Kiddo both being very enjoyable and poignant nonfiction reads. The first dealt with Japanese internment camps during WWII, and the other explored the effects of drug addiction on families. I was quite moved reading both of them.

I planned a very ambitious TBR for March. I'm thinking that I might not get through all of these, but here's what I would like to do:

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifirenka & Martin Ganda
O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë
The Deep by Rivers Solomon
The Undoing of Thistle Tate by Katelyn Detweiler

If I actually make it through all those books, I will clear three books off of my Classics Club list, two books off of my Back to the Classics Challenge, and one book off my True Books Challenge. In addition, I will get to read two books just because I feel like it, which is always nice. With all my challenges, sometimes I don't do that enough.

I'm so looking forward to getting started here that I think I am going to be a little bit sneaky and start reading on February 29th - leap days don't count, right?

2 comments:

  1. That's a great list of books for March! I like both Willa Cather and Anne Bronte. Happy Reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I haven't read anything by Willa Cather yet, but I have heard so many positive things that I'm really looking forward to it.

      Delete

So, what do you think?