About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Saturday, August 29, 2020

August Wrap Up

I feel like August went by more quickly than most months have this year. That probably is because I spent a lot of it trying to prepare myself to return to school, a daunting prospect that I tried to distract myself from by reading. I managed to finish quite a few books too. Here's the complete list:


I had two really fantastic reads this month. Both The Custom of the Country and The Poet X became new favorites, for completely opposite reasons. The Custom of the Country had a deliciously awful heroine, while The Poet X had a relatable and inspiring one.

My least favorite of the month was probably Mama's Last Hug, which was a little bit too light on animal content for me. I also didn't love In Dubious Battle or The Haters, a fact that surprised me as I generally love everything both of those authors write.

My reluctance to go back to work aside, there are a few things to look forward to in September. The weather is turning cooler, fall is on the horizon, and the leaves will start to change. The fall and winter months are the coziest reading times for me and I'm looking forward to curling up with a blanket and stack of good books. It won't be so hard to self-quarantine then.

I filled my next TBR with some shorter and lighter novels, as my reading time will be reduced. Here's the lineup:  

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks by E. Lockhart
Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi
The Warden by Anthony Trollope
The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

There are a few novels on this list that I wouldn't have picked without being prompted to by my reading challenges. I'm actually excited to give them a try and see if they surprise me. I'd like to add another classic on here too, if I have the time. I'm going to plan conservatively for now and see what I can add on later if I finish these early.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?