About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

March Wrap Up


March is now at an end and my reading was moderately successful. I completed everything I set out to do anyway. I liked some of what I read, but unfortunately two of the classics I finished didn't end up being favorites. Here's the list:


At least 100 pages of Les Misérables - Done (read 125 pages)

I think my favorite of the month was Monday's Not Coming, a young adult contemporary novel that I found to be really gripping. It wasn't perfect, however, as I thought its twist ending was confusing and unnecessary. 

My least favorite of the month was a tie between Under the Greenwood Tree and To the Lighthouse, but for very different reasons. I found Under the Greenwood Tree to be too shallow and To the Lighthouse to be imbued with meaning that I didn't really understand. They both counted for my various challenges though, so all was not lost.

In April, I'm taking on another monster of a classic, so my other picks will be on the shorter side. Here's my goal:

Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
Hamlet by William Shakespeare
Twilight Sleep by Edith Wharton
At least two books chosen from my owned-not-read list based on my mood
At least 100 pages of Les Misérables

The only one on here that I am worried about is Daniel Deronda, which is 784 pages of very small print. I love George Eliot, but I already started reading this one a little bit, and it's taking me a little while to get into it. I haven't hit that point yet where I'm fully oriented to the story and want to pick it up. Hopefully I'll get there soon. Otherwise, it's going to be a long month!
 

2 comments:

  1. I do hope that everything starts clicking for you and Daniel Deronda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - I'm about 200 pages in now and it's definitely starting to click. The only downside so far is that one of the main characters is Jewish and even though this is a good character that Eliot portrays sympathetically, some of the descriptions and comments about Judaism really haven't aged well. I know that's just part of reading classics, and Eliot was probably more forward-thinking and accepting than most people in her time, but it's still a little off-putting!

      Delete

So, what do you think?