About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Thursday, September 28, 2017

September 2017 Reading Wrap Up


September was a bit of a surreal month of reading for me. Hurricane Irma created a situation where I had lots of time to read, but it wasn't relaxing. I used books as a way to distract myself from the fact that we lost power for a while instead of as a treat. It was...different. In spite of all the stress, I did end up finishing a good amount of novels.


1. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (3/5 stars)

  • Classics Club: #59 on my list
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book that takes place over a character's lifespan
  • Mount TBR: previously owned

2. The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson (2/5 stars)
  • Classics Club: #93 on my list
  • Mount TBR: previously owned

3. Frost by M.P. Kozlowsky (3/5 stars)
  • Mount TBR: previously owned

4. The Scourge by Jennifer Nielsen (2/5 stars)
  • Mount TBR: previously owned

5. Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue (5/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge (bonus category): A book recommended by an author you love


My current challenge status is:



I have read 60 books so far in 2017!


My best read of the month was definitely Imbolo Mbue's Behold the Dreamers, which I found to be both touching and thought-provoking. Jende and Neni's immigrant story felt real. It was very relevant to our current political climate as well. 

My worst read of the month was The Suicide Club by Robert Louis Stevenson. The three interconnected short stories lacked the action and intrigue that one would expect from a book about murders. It was, sadly, forgettable, especially when compared to Stevenson's other classic works.

My plans for October take a turn towards the creepy. I'm planning to explore some darker fiction in honor of the season. Dracula, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?