About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Back to the Classics 2017 - Sign Up Post

Image from Karen K. at Books and Chocolate

Well, here we are again! After having a ton of fun this year participating in the Back to the Classics Challenge, I've decided to sign up again for 2017!

The challenge is essentially the same as last year, with the overall goal being to read twelve classic novels throughout the course of the year. The novels must fit into the twelve different challenge categories set by Karen K., and must be at least fifty years old (published by 1967). Some of the categories are the same as last year, and some are different. After thinking over what I would like to read in the coming year, here is my plan:

1. A 19th Century Classic: Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (1864)
2. A 20th Century Classic: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (1963)
3. A Classic by a Woman Author: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (1943)
4A Classic in Translation: Germinal by Émile Zola (1885)
5. A Classic Published Before 1800: King Lear by William Shakespeare (c. 1606) 
6. A Romance Classic: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)
7. A Gothic or Horror Classic: Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)
8. A Classic with a Number in the Title: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (1961)
9. A Classic about an Animal: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (1877)
10. A Classic Set in a Place You'd Like to Visit: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (1937)
11. An Award-Winning Classic: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (1963)
12. A Russian Classic: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky (1866)


There are quite a few books on here that I've been meaning to read for a long time, so I'm excited to get started. I'm ready for 2017! If anyone else out there is interested in signing up too, here is a link to the challenge page.

4 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble coming up with a book with an animal in the title. Black Beauty is a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I knew I wanted to include a little bit of children's literature on my list, so Black Beauty fit the bill. Did you settle on your pick for that category yet?

      Delete
  2. We're both reading Rebecca. I wish I'd thought of Bell Jar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! I've seen a lot of positive reviews of Rebecca, so I'm hoping it will become a new favorite.

      Delete

So, what do you think?