About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Book Junkie Trials 2019

I wasn't planning on joining any more reading challenges this year, but when I saw the Book Junkie Trials announced on YouTube, I had to join in. The rules are fairly elaborate, so I would recommend watching the official announcement video I linked above, but basically, this is a fantasy-themed reading challenge created by Rachael Marie in which you participate on a quest to find "The Bookie Grail" by completing different reading prompts.

The first step in the challenge is to take a personality quiz to get sorted into your challenge team (mage, scribe, bard, or outlaw). I was sorted into the scribe group. Each team has its own strength and weakness, and each has a separate route to the grail. Each stop on the journey has its own reading prompt assigned to it, making the challenge different for each team. I've copied the scribe map and prompts below. Posting to a blog is not a part of this challenge (posting to Twitter is), but I wanted to keep a record of my progress here too.

Image and challenge prompts by: Rachael Marie

 The Scribe Prompts

1. Dwarf Mount: You spot a fair tavern wench, however the Dwarf Mines, grimey and dusty, didn’t evoke a very romantic feeling. Read a book with a hint of romance to get you in the mood.
(My book choice: The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang)

2. Apothecary Towers: Where the wizards dwell. Tricksters. They have blind-folded you and randomised all your books, choose a book at random from your bookshelf.
(My book choice: Matched by Ally Conde)

3. The Great Library: Ahh the great archives, find and read a book that has been on your TBR forever.
(My book choice: All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven)

4. The Drowning Deep: The Whirlpool... is so.... mesmerising. Read a book with rich world-building that will suck you into its own world, instead.
(My book choice: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi - This is my over 500 pager)

5. The Bookie Grail: Here you find a lost manuscript, delivered on this forgotten island by a fallen star. Read the group book: Stardust
(My book choice: Stardust by Neil Gaiman)


Scribe Ability
The ability to rewrite their tale.
Their unique ability is to read a book that wasn’t on their declared TBR
- as long as it still completes the challenge.

Scribe Weakness
As scribes spend so much time documenting their findings,
one of their challenges will take MUCH longer than normal.
They must read a book over 500 pages.


This challenge takes place during the month of July, and I'm already feeling antsy to get started! I'm hoping to finish my quest early on in the month and then try out some of the other team prompts for extra points. Completing additional prompts will "level up" your character for next year's challenge, which sounds awesome to me.

I've been feeling a little bit low lately, but I'm really looking forward to trying this out. I'm thinking it will energize me and help me enjoy my summer break. Is anyone else out there interested in giving this challenge a shot? All the information you need is in Rachael Marie's announcement video. Check out the links in the description box for the team maps, the challenge tracker, and the personality quiz.


Edit: I finished the scribe challenges on 7/7. My next step is to work on the prompts from the other classes. I will keep a list of these below:


The Outlaw Prompts

1. The Crimson Peaks: Reread a favorite.
(My Book Choice: Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson)

2. The Queendom Stone: Read a book featuring royalty.
(My Book Choice: Magic Flutes by Eva Ibbotson)

3. The Forgotten Forests: Read the next book in a series.
(My Book Choice: Crossed by Ally Condie)

4. The Weeping Falls: Read a tear-jerker.
(My Book Choice: Hold Still by Nina LaCour)

The Magi Prompts

1. Orc Grove: Read a book that is gruesome, gory, or gritty.
(My Book Choice: Gyo by Junji Ito)

2. Ol' Pirate Cove: Read a book that takes place on the sea.
(My Book Choice: And the Ocean Was Our Sky by Patrick Ness)

3. Glimmer: Read a beautiful or colorful book.
(My Book Choice: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood)

4. Draconic Isle: Read a book featuring dragons.
(My Book Choice: The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill

The Bard Prompts

1. The Elven Guard: Read a book with war, military, or political themes.
(My Book Choice: Resistance by Jennifer A. Nielsen)

2. The Hallow Isle: Read an atmospheric or horror book.
(My Book Choice: The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman)

3. The Empty Barrel Inn: Enjoy an indulgent read.
(My Book Choice: Reached by Ally Condie)

4. The Giant Squid: Read a book that intimidates you.
(My Book Choice: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami)

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?