About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

 


I only have a few match-ups left in my Then Versus Now Challenge, and I decided to finally take on the one that I was dreading the most this month. Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird has been a favorite of mine ever since I read it in ninth grade. Later on in my life, when I became a teacher, I taught the novel to my own students for several years. I know the story backwards and forwards. I've created projects, essays, and assignments for it and given hundreds of quizzes on its content. I know this book. I love this book. I was dreading going back to it because the only thing to match it up against was its "sequel," Go Set a Watchman. I'm getting ahead of myself though. Before taking on Watchman, I had the pleasure of rereading this Pulitzer Prize winning classic one more time.

To Kill a Mockingbird is the coming of age story of Jem and Scout Finch, two kids growing up in the sleepy Southern town of Maycomb, Alabama in the 1930s. Their mother passed away when Scout was just a baby, so they are being raised by their father, Atticus Finch. Atticus is a respected lawyer in town and his approach to raising his children raises a few eyebrows. His kids call him by his first name, he speaks to them with more honesty than is usual, and he allows Scout to be her true, tomboy self. Both children adore him and spend their days having little adventures all over town.

They are forced to grow up quickly, however, when Atticus agrees to take the case of Tom Robinson, a black man accused of rape by a white woman. While the residents of Maycomb genuinely like Atticus under normal circumstances, the racism of the era brings out a lot of ugliness towards him and his family as the trial draws near. This confuses Scout and offends Jem. They both wonder why Atticus agreed to take on a case that brings him so much trouble, but he explains that defending Tom is the right thing to do. He fully expects to lose in court; Maycomb's racist attitudes won't allow for a different outcome, but he believes that everyone deserves a fair trial, no matter what color their skin is. Together, Scout and Jem watch as he tries his best to get justice for Tom in the face of some serious and dangerous opposition, and they learn a lot about kindness, equality, and empathy along the way. 

To me, To Kill a Mockingbird is a masterpiece. Although the subject matter is often sad and it depicts an ugly side of our world, its themes of fairness and understanding create an overall tone of hope. Harper Lee's writing contains a wonderful mixture of dry humor and emotion, and the plot of the story is well-constructed. Things flow nicely and make sense. The book feels complete. To me, this novel doesn't read like a typical classic. I often have a sense of disconnectedness when I read older works. I can often feel the years stretching between me and the texts. This story, however, stays in my heart. When I read it, I fall into it just like I do with newer novels. 

A big part of that feeling comes from the characters. Atticus, Scout, and Jem make you feel warm inside when you read about them; they live their lives being as good as they can, help their neighbors, and stand up for what they believe in, even when it is difficult to do so. Watching Atticus raise Jem and Scout to be honest, respectable people is satisfying. The kids get into scrapes and make mistakes, but Atticus is always there to lead them through their troubles. When he has troubles of his own, his children are there for him. Their family is one that you want to root for. This doesn't mean that they are bland though. Each character is wonderfully unique, with their own personalities. Scout, in particular, is a little spitfire. The blend of her childhood innocence and her adventurous spirit makes her an interesting, if at times unreliable, narrator. She is too young to understand the nuances of everything she witnesses in this novel, but her narration and observation of the events is enough for readers to infer the truth of the story. She grows in believable and authentic ways throughout the plot, and her coming to terms with the messiness and unfairness of life is very relatable. 

I know this novel has its detractors, especially today, in an era where the way we look at racism and inequality is rapidly changing and becoming more nuanced and refined. There are some who criticize Mockingbird for containing the white savior trope. There are others who dislike its language, which includes gratuitous use of the n-word. I've also heard the opinion that this novel, written by a white woman, does a poor job reflecting the realities of the black experience during this time period. All of those criticisms have merit. I believe, however, that the good in the novel outweighs the outdated concepts. Atticus gives us a character to look up to, to admire. Perhaps he's impossibly good, but most literary heroes are. His story gives us hope that with compassion and patience, we can make a better world. These ideas are timeless and keep this novel relevant today even though some of its story hasn't aged well. My feelings for this book haven't changed over several readings. It is truly a special story and remains one of my very favorite classics.


 Challenge Tally

Then vs. Now: 22/27

Total Books Read in 2020: 76





No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?