About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Then Versus Now Reading Challenge



I've been maintaining a list of my favorite novels here on my blog for the past several years. Every time I read a book that I really like, I add it to the list and link up the review. However, there are quite a few favorites on my list that I read way before I started blogging, and it has always bothered me that I don't have reviews posted for those books.

I decided that this year, I would start rereading some of those older favorites. To make it more interesting though, I'm going to pair each one with a new-to-me book by the same author and compare how I felt about their books back then versus how I feel about them now. I'm mixing works from all different time periods and genres in this challenge, so there will be a lot of variety in what I'm reading.

I'm curious to see if I still feel the same way about my old favorites after reading them again. It will also be interesting to see if I like any of the other books by these authors even more than my original favorites. I picked 13 sets of books to read and I plan to read around one match up per month. I will return here to link up my posts as I go.

The Match Ups:

1. Stephen Chbosky: The Perks of Being a Wallflower vs. Imaginary Friend
2. Erin Morgenstern: The Night Circus vs. The Starless Sea
3. Juliet Marillier: Daughter of the Forest vs. The Harp of Kings
4. Markus Zusak: The Book Thief vs. Bridge of Clay
5. Rainbow Rowell: Eleanor and Park vs. Carry On and Wayward Son
6. Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird vs. Go Set a Watchman
7. Frances Hodgson Burnett: The Secret Garden vs. Little Lord Fauntleroy
8. Jesse Andrews: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl vs. Munmun
9. John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men vs. In Dubious Battle
10. Mary Shelley: Frankenstein vs. The Last Man
11. E. Lockhart: We Were Liars vs. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks
12. Lionel Shriver: We Need to Talk About Kevin vs. Big Brother
13. Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale vs. The Testaments


3 comments:

  1. I'm especially interested in your thoughts on Harper Lee. I have read both those titles. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the match up that I'm the most nervous about! To Kill a Mockingbird is basically sacred to me and I haven't heard very nice things about Go Set A Watchman.

      Delete
    2. I though Go Set a Watchmen was WONDERFUL. It's not as well written, but it is thunderous. It brings a whole new perspective to To Kill a Mockingbird.

      Delete

So, what do you think?