About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Monday, February 29, 2016

February 2016 Wrap Up

My month of reading books where the protagonists were significantly different from myself was a definite success.  I got to every book on my list, read most of my bonus round books, and found a few new favorites.  I traveled to Africa, India and China.  I saw gay relationships and polygamous ones.  I explored historical fiction and absurd fantasy.  At the end of this long literary journey, I arrived at a rather simple conclusion.  Whether you are a gay superhero, an African slave, a Nepalese child prostitute, a Chinese farmer, or a boy raised by wolves, we all just want to be happy and loved.  If we could only support each other and find ways to build each other up, the world would be a much happier place.    

Books Read
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Sold by Patricia McCormick
Hero by Perry Moore
Copper Sun by Sharon Draper
Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by  Becky Albertalli
Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith
The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake
The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Best of the month: Sold
Worst of the month: The Jungle Books

Books that I didn't get to, but am saving for later:
After realizing that I already read Nectar in a Sieve a few years ago, I got to everything on my list except The Scorch Trials by James Dashner.

Book with the most gratuitous use of the word "horny": Grasshopper Jungle

New favorites: Sold, Copper Sun

These theme months are undoubtedly one of the best things I've ever done. I'm having even more fun reading than usual, and that's saying a lot for me.  On to the next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?