About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Thursday, September 1, 2016

September Reading List: Scary Books


For the month of September, I'm going to jump into a genre that I don't read very much - scary books!  With hurricane season ramping up in Florida, this just feels like the right time of year to slip under the covers with a scary story and creepy myself out.

Here's the tentative plan for this month:

The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey - I'm not entire sure what this one is about and I don't really want to know before I read it.  What I do know is that this book won a bunch of paranormal/horror/fantasy awards, which makes it perfect for this month.

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - This classic story about a disfigured young man who haunts a Parisian opera house has been made famous on Broadway.  I'm interested to see what the book is like.  This will also fit my "classic in translation" category for the Back to the Classics Challenge.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo - I meant to get to this book in August, but I didn't get the chance. I think it still qualifies as a slightly scary book, so I'm sticking it here.  This fits my "classic with a place in the title" category for the Back to the Classics Challenge.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - I have to read this creepy young adult book before the movie comes out.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness - Another young adult book I want to get to before the movie comes out.

That's all I'm going to plan out for now, since I haven't exactly been cranking out the reviews since school started back up.  At this point, I'm doubting that I'll be able to read 100 books this year.  I'm going to keep on trying and having fun though, and that's what really counts.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?