About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Thursday, February 2, 2017

January 2017 Reading Wrap Up

Photo by Mditha

My first month of reading in 2017 is over, and I have to say that it was a rousing success!  I read a total of seven books, each of which counted for multiple categories in my challenges. I have also made sure to read a little bit everyday, and I have definitely felt happier for it.

Here's breakdown of everything I finished in January:

1. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne (3/5 stars)
  • Back to the Classics: 19th Century Classic
  • Classics Club: #41 on my list
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book about travel
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
2. Black Beauty by Anna Sewell (4/5 stars)
  • Back to the Classics: A classic about an animal
  • Classics Club: #21 on my list
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book from a nonhuman perspective
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
3. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan (2/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book with multiple authors
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
4. The Omnivore's Dilemma: Young Reader's Edition by Michael Pollan (3/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book about food
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
5. Lock In by John Scalzi (3/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: An audio book
  • Mount TBR: previously owned 
6. The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen (2/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: An espionage thriller
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
7. Dear White America by Tim Wise (4/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book written by someone you admire
  • Mount TBR: previously owned 

My favorite of the month was, surprisingly enough, Black Beauty. I didn't predict what an impression this sweet little book would leave on me, but I find myself thinking about it whenever I see a horse now. I've never had an interaction with a real horse in my life, but I suddenly have an opinion on equine welfare.

My least favorite was Will Grayson, Will Grayson, which I found to be a mix of pointless and overly-sentimental. It seems like John Green works are really hit-or-miss for me. This one, like An Abundance of Katherines, was a miss.

Another high point of my month was discovering the joys of audio books! Lock In helped me get back on track with my exercising. I can't imagine running without listening to a book now, as the fact that I'm almost finished with Redshirts will attest.

I'm heading into February with a lot of energy and motivation. I'm hoping to keep up this pace with my reading, as it definitely helps to calm my mind and keep me happy. Life has been good so far in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?