About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Monday, February 5, 2018

Heidi by Johanna Spyri



I happen to have a predilection for classic, squeaky-clean children's books. The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, The Chronicles of Narnia, Black Beauty, and Little Women are just a handful of books like this that hold a special place in my heart. I don't know what it is about these innocent little stories that draw me in. Maybe it's the depiction of goodhearted young heroes overcoming the odds, or maybe it's the simplicity of seeing kids being happy and kind to everyone. Maybe it's all the talking animals that tend to pop up. Whatever the root of my fascination, I can't help but fall headfirst into these sorts of books. When I saw that one of the Back to the Classics categories was to read a children's classic this year, I knew that I wanted to find another sweet novel to enjoy, so I chose Heidi by Johanna Spyri.

Heidi is the story of a little Swiss girl who is sent to live with her grandfather after her parents pass away. Heidi is only five years old when she joins her grandfather, who lives in an isolated little hut high up in the mountains. His troubled past and grief over his son's death have made him quite reclusive, earning him the nickname 'Uncle Alp' among the people that live in Dörfli, the nearest village. It doesn't take long, however, for little Heidi, with her inquisitive nature and joyful spirit, to win his heart and soften his gruff exterior.

Heidi spends a few years living with her grandfather in the mountains, enjoying the breathtaking scenery. She runs about all day with Peter, a young goatherd, exploring the forests and playing with the animals. At home, she helps to keep her hut tidy and to make cheese from the milk that Daisy and Dusky, her grandfathers goats, provide. She makes fast friends with everyone she meets, including Grannie, Peter's blind and sickly grandmother, whom she cheers up with her innocent chatter and natural optimism.

Her life takes a unexpected turn when her aunt suddenly arrives on the mountain and whisks her away to become a companion to a sickly, rich little girl living in Frankfurt. Heidi tries to make the best of her new situation, but pines away with homesickness for the Alps, her grandfather, and her friends. The noise and crowded buildings of the city cut her off from the natural world that she had come to love and fill her with sadness. Eventually, seeing her unhappiness, the family she was staying with allows her to return home. What ends up coming out of her time there, however, is a miracle, and this allows Heidi to learn a lesson about how life is full of surprises and generally turns out for the best, even if things seem dark for a time.

Heidi has been adapted into several movie versions and been published in many different languages all over the world. From the first chapter, it is easy to understand how this little story captured the hearts of so many people. It is, to put it simply, a ray of light. Everything in it, from the beautiful setting of the Swiss mountains, to the lovable cast of characters, to the simple plot, is heartwarming. Everyone in the story loves Heidi once they meet her, and all readers who appreciate these sorts of stories will invariably feel the same. Her personality is so sweet, kind, and generous that it inspires you to be a better person yourself. Her example is one well worth following, even if her relentless enthusiasm for everything might be a bit unrealistic.

Her relationship with her grandfather was probably my favorite part of the story. I definitely have a soft spot for nice paternal relationships in novels, and Heidi has that in abundance. To watch mean old Uncle Alp turn soft and caring under Heidi's influence was a treat. He learns a lot of lessons about forgiveness and courage right alongside his granddaughter, although what he learns has a bit of a darker side to it. When we first meet him, he is nursing a lot of pain, anger, and regret over things that happened in his past. While we don't get a lot of detail on his backstory, we do get the impression that he is a man who has made significant mistakes in his life, and he is quite hard on himself and others because of it. I know firsthand from my classroom how the example of an innocent child can inspire adults to change, and the watch it play out on the page made me smile.

Another wonderful aspect of this novel is how well the natural world is described. The Swiss landscape is shown in beautiful detail. Everything from the trees, to the flowers, to the little goats gamboling around the mountainside are lovingly rendered. The imagery is so strong that it made me homesick for a place I'd never been. Spyri based the scenery on a town where she spent many family vacations, and her own, personal connection to the setting shine through. I felt like I was getting a little peek at paradise, and I was suddenly jealous that I wasn't living in a hut in the Alps drinking goat milk and making cheese all day.

Anyone who enjoys sweet, classic children's stories will find a lot to love in Heidi. It is a book where life is beautiful, people love each other, and things always turn out for the best. I think the world could do with a few more stories like this these days, where simple kindness is enough to make everyone think the world of you. This book is a feel-good treasure and a fine addition to my collection of classic novels. I'm glad that I chose it for my challenge this year.


Challenge Tally:
Back to the Classics (a children's classic): 2/12
Classics Club (#22 on my list): 23/100

Total Books Read in 2018:8


4 comments:

  1. I love these feel-good children's classics too, and heart-warming character development such as Heidi's grandfather's. When I actually got to visit Switzerland and go up the Alps in my teens, I remember thinking it all looked just as Johanna Spyri wrote it :) Great choice for the children's classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you've actually been to Switzerland? That's so awesome. It's cool to know that it really does look like Spyri described.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kristina, I just joined The Classics Club and found your delightful blog! I too have an affinity for squeaky clean children's books. I read this sweet tale this past spring and ADORED it! I grew up watching the Disney version (and even watched the Shirley Temple version) so I was familiar with the plot, but the actual book was even better. It was quite atmospheric with descriptions of the Alps so vivid, I could almost feel the crisp mountain air. I am looking forward to checking out your other Classic Club reviews!

    Here is my list, if interested! https://elle-alice.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-classics-club-55-classics-in-5.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There really is something about Heidi that is magical. It's beautiful in its simplicity.

      Delete

So, what do you think?