About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Saturday, May 30, 2020

May Wrap Up



May ended up being a pretty good reading month for me--much better than April at least. I finished eight novels in total, and I really enjoyed most of them. Here is what I finished:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
Educated by Tara Westover
The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton
The Lost Girl by D.H. Lawrence
My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell
The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware
The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden

I think my favorite read of the month was My Dark Vanessa, a novel that I found to be both very intriguing and deeply disturbing. I also really enjoyed my nonfiction pick, Educated, which was also a tough, but satisfying read. Both The Glimpses of the Moon and The Benefits of Being an Octopus were also great. Nothing rose to the level of being a new special favorite, but I read a lot of awesome works overall.

My least favorite read of the month was The Turn of the Key, which wasn't terrible, but pretty bland. I also didn't love Bridge of Clay, which I did not enjoy as much as previous works I had read by its author. In both cases however, I wasn't miserable reading, just occasionally bored.

My plans for next month have been decided for a long time. Back when I was teaching in school as normal and the world still made sense, I thought that June would be a good time to finally tackle Lord of the Rings, as I would have more free time over the summer. I ended up with a lot more free time before that than I expected, but I stuck to my original plan anyway. I waited for June and now I'm going to Middle-earth! Here's the full TBR list:

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews
Munmun by Jesse Andrews
The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

I'm excited to finally get around to reading what is probably the most famous fantasy series of all time, and continuing on with my other challenges. Hopefully June will be just as successful a reading month as May was.

1 comment:

  1. May was a good month of reading! :D Good luck with Tolkein's trilogy. I made it through the first two, but got bogged down in the third.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?