About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Friday, July 31, 2020

July Wrap Up


July is over and I ended up having a surprisingly good reading month. I didn't read a huge amount of books, but a lot of the ones I ended up reading were really good. I even added two books to my all-time favorites list! Here's what I finished:


My favorite read of the month was Wives and Daughters, which was amazingly well-paced for a nearly 700 page classic. I also really liked The Bluest Eye, which was a dark book, but a very thought-provoking one too.

I had a weird experience with my reread of Eleanor and Park, which I found to have some problematic elements the second time around. Sorting out my feelings around that was a weird experience. I still like a lot of things about the book, but I can't really recommend it to people anymore. Luckily, I did really enjoy the other books I read by Rainbow Rowell, so that made me feel a little better.

My least favorite read of the month was Truevine, my nonfiction read for the month. It included too many digressions from its main topic for me. 

I've been very optimistic with my planning for next month. I want to take on more of the StoryGraph Onboarding Challenge and continue on chipping away at my classics goals. Here's what I have planned:  

Vassa in the Night by Sarah Porter
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck
Mama's Last Hug by Frans de Waal
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton
The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo
The Haters by Jesse Andrews

I struggled a bit with blogging this month. I just didn't feel like writing for some reason, and I think that's because I've been doing the exact same thing on this blog for years now. I was exploring a few other book blogs this week, and I'm thinking I want to start planning for a bit of a redesign in the coming months. Nothing drastic, after all, this blog is really only a place for me to keep track of what I read, but I think it's time for a remodel and some other kinds of posts. It's something to think about anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?