About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Monday, August 29, 2022

August Wrap Up

 



As the last month of summer vacation always does, August went by quickly. I spend the month trying to prepare for going back to school in my new role and for becoming a graduate student. I cleaned out and moved my classroom, attended a whole bunch of meetings, and bought an armful of pricy textbooks. I also took a vacation to Niagara Falls with my family. There were some good moments, but it was also a bit stressful thinking about all the tough stuff that's about to start. I kept up with my reading, but didn't get much else done.

I continued reading 100 pages a day throughout the month. It's probably going to be my last month doing that, as I have to build more time for studying into my schedule now, but it was cool to make it to the end of another month.  I read a total of 10 books and 3,287 pages. I ended up really liking a good amount of what I read. Here's everything I finished:


My favorite read of the month was The Underground Railroad, which was both brutal and beautiful. My least favorite was definitely Year One, which I found to be a very disorganized and boring fantasy. That book has the distinction of being my one one-star read this year so far.

I didn't purchase any new books this month, which is good. I think I'm finally getting that impulse under control and reading what I have. It's only taken me 36 years to get to this point! I ended up donating Year One, Sadie, Three Dark Crowns, One Dark Throne, Two Dark Reigns, and Five Dark Fates. A total of six books left my shelves.

My plan for September is to pull back a little bit on my TBR list to allow more time for studying. I'm going to focus on some of the shorter reads on my shelves so I will still get to finish some things too. Here's my list: 

On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden
Paradise on Fire by Jewell Parker Rhodes
The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi  
Frankie and Bug by Gayle Forman
Black Birds in the Sky by Brandy Colbert

Sadly, I didn't make any puzzles or complete any other craft projects this month. I was too busy prepping for work. I'm hoping to sneak some of that back in throughout September, but I have a feeling that it's going to be tough on that front for a little while. All the sacrifice will be worth it in the end though. I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?