About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Monday, August 28, 2023

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

 


The next book I first picked up off my TBR pile was Gideon the Ninth, a fantasy/science fiction novel that I bought years ago based on recommendations from the book YouTubers I follow. A few months ago, a friend from real life happened to mention that they were enjoying this one, so my interest was re-piqued. My last few reads were both quite serious and emotional, so I was craving a book that would be a bit more fun. Gideon seemed to fit the bill nicely, so I dove in hoping to get lost in a fantasy world.

Gideon the Ninth is set in a universe divided into nine houses. Each house is led by a ruling necromancer with a different necromantic talent. Protecting each of these ruling necromancers is their cavalier, a classically trained protector ready to defend their adept with their finely honed rapier skills. Gideon, who is none of these things, is from the Ninth House, a secretive and deeply religious group living on a remote planet. They are charged with guarding a historical and important tomb and live an ascetic lifestyle. Gideon, who was mysteriously orphaned on this world as a child, hates everything about the Ninth House, including its leader Harrowhark Nonagesimus, and is forever trying to escape it. She is continually unsuccessful, despite her best efforts. The Ninth House is in decline and does not let its people leave. 

Her fortune changes, however, when an invitation goes out to each of the houses inviting each ruler and their cavalier to a competition of sorts to ascend to the elevated role of Lyctor, a powerful position within their ruling structure. Harrowhark, who is hungry for power and completely out of options in her dying house, makes Gideon an irresistible offer - accompany her to the competition and act as her cavalier in return for her freedom. Gideon grudgingly accepts and soon finds herself thrust into the center of a deadly mystery and surrounded by a hostile cast of characters. She must work together with Harrowhark to unravel the secrets of the competition and end the game before it costs them their lives.

This novel was unlike anything I have ever read before, in a really good way. The combination of science fiction and fantasy was quite strange at first, but I ended up liking it quite a bit. In this world we have both space travel and bone magic. Light switches and rapier duels. Automatic doors and revenants. I became more used to it the further I got into the story, and really came to appreciate the unique world that bloomed out of all these disparate elements. Tamsyn Muir's writing was irreverent and darkly funny. Gideon spoke with a voice that sounded like a sarcastic best friend, and it quickly made me love her. The other characters all had their own unique personalities as well, and they were very interesting to get to know. In addition to the world building and characters, the story was extremely interesting and original as well. It was mysterious, exciting, and had a lot of great twists. The action sequences were particularly well written and vivid. It's essentially a gothic murder mystery in space, which is a crazy collection of story elements, but they somehow all worked together very well. This was such a weird and awesome reading experience that it's hard to describe. It's one of those stories you have to check out for yourself. 

The one drawback I found was simply the sheer amount of names to keep track of. This book has a lot of characters, and each of them is referred to in several different ways. Characters switch between using first names, nicknames, last names, titles, and house numbers regularly. Thank goodness for the character list included in the front of the novel, or I would have had an even harder time. I really struggle to remember numerical information, so the house numbers in particular were very difficult for me to keep track of. I got through it in the end, but there was more than one time I was mistaking which character was which.

Even so, however, I really did enjoy Gideon the Ninth and highly recommend it to fans of science fiction and fantasy. This is book one in a series, and I'm actually quite interested in continuing on with it after I get through a few more of the books I already own. This was a surprisingly great and really unique read.


2023 Reading Challenges Tally:
Goodreads Reading Challenge: 13/24
Clear the Shelves 2023: 10/24




No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?