About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates

 


The next book I picked up from my TBR pile was The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates. I bought this one awhile ago, based on excellent reviews. I hadn't read anything by Coates before, but I knew going in that this was a very highly regarded writer, so my expectations were fairly high. Happily, I wasn't disappointed. 

The plot of the novel follows a young man named Hiram Walker. He was born into slavery in Virginia and was separated from his mother when he was a small child. He can't remember anything about her, but he did inherit her gift - the ability to magically transport himself from one place to another. This power lies dormant inside of him until an accident brings it to the surface and awakens a desire in him to escape from bondage. He is unable to use his powers at will initially, and his escape attempt leads him on a journey through all sorts of dangers. Through it all, he persists in trying to secure his own freedom, and the freedom of everyone still trapped in the terrible institution behind him.

This was, to put it simple, a very good book. From beginning to end it was beautifully written and engaging. It spoke about slavery in a way that showed the absolute abomination and tragedy of it all and brought its monstrous impact on families to light. I don't always love magical realism, but I found that I really enjoyed it here. Coates ties Hiram's mysterious powers to love, family, and memory in a way that emphasizes the humanity and dignity of enslaved people. The whole story felt very wise and important. It's clear that Coates is a master of his craft.

I happened to read this during a time when Florida was in the news for creating a social studies curriculum that attempts to soften the harm and emphasize the benefits of slavery. This idea is obviously outrageous, and it felt even more insulting to me while I was in the midst of this story. This is a fictional tale, but the ideas and themes still ring true. Hiram's story, magical though it is, makes clear to readers the pain of this time period and the absolute wrongness of it all. Honestly, this would be an excellent novel to add to a high school English curriculum to show how authors can bring increased understanding and empathy to real world issues through literature.

 The Water Dancer is the kind of book that is perfect for book clubs and great to recommend to anyone. It was an emotional and thoughtful read with an important message. I look forward to trying more of Coates' work in the future.


2023 Reading Challenges Tally:
Goodreads Reading Challenge: 12/24
Clear the Shelves 2023: 9/24





No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?