About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Sunday, December 4, 2016

November 2016 Wrap Up


My month of reading fantasy novels has come to an end. I struggled a little bit this month with some work-related issues, so my reading took a bit of a hit. Even so, I will still have finished everything on my prospective list, plus two extra books when all is said and done. I'm still working on finishing up Throne of Glass, and I will come back and update this page once I do.

I learned during this month that I don't enjoy fantasy novels as much as I used to. While I liked most of the novels that I read this month, I wasn't overly excited to pick any of them up. I felt deeply connected to this genre as a kid, but now, I find myself annoyed by trite romances, a lack of complex characters, and an overabundance of gender issues. I suppose it's normal for a person's reading tastes to change over the years, but it's a little bittersweet to have left that little piece of me that loved magic and princesses behind.

Books Read
The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
After Alice by Gregory Maguire
Stray by Elissa Sussman
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Best of the Month: Stray

Worst of the Month: The Mark of the Dragonfly, Throne of Glass


Despite my lukewarm reaction to this month's theme, I'm not giving up on fantasy novels altogether. I might have to be more selective about which books I pick up, but I know I will return to literary worlds full of magic and wonder every now and then. For now, however, it's time to head into my last theme for the year - award-winning books. With a theme like that, I'm betting I'll find some new favorites.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?