About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke

 


I read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell back in 2017 and really enjoyed it. Naturally, when I saw that Susanna Clarke was coming out with another novel, I picked it up right away. I didn't end up reading it immediately, but it always stood out in my mind as one of the books I really wanted to get to soon. I made it part of my 22 in 2022 Challenge and I finally decided to pick it up this week.

The plot of the novel follows a man named Piranesi. He lives in a different world from ours. He describes it as a house composed of endless hallways and alcoves. The house is filled with thousands of statues, all different, depicting people, animals, and mythological creatures. There is also an ocean that swirls around the different rooms, rising and falling with the tides. There are birds and fish in the house, but only one other person, whom Piranesi calls The Other. He meets with The Other twice a week to help him study the rooms in the house and to try an evoke an ancient magic that The Other believes that humanity lost access to centuries ago. Aside from those meetings, Piranesi spends his time wandering the various rooms, visiting his favorite statues, and catching fish to sustain himself. He loves the house and considers it to be a protector and provider for him.

His life changes, however, when another person appears in the house. The Other is concerned about this person. He tells Piranesi that they are dangerous and have come to turn him mad. When Piranesi interacts with this person though, they begin to awaken some memories in him of another world that he used to be a part of. Suddenly, he realizes that there are large chunks of his life that he can't remember, and he begins to question The Other's motives and his own presence in the house.

This novel was wildly imaginative and I fell in love with it from page one. I loved the sense of mystery that Clarke created throughout the story. This is a novel with secrets, and I was constantly trying to figure out what really going on under the surface while I was reading. Information was revealed at a good pace, and I moved through the novel quickly, anxious to see what would ultimately happen. It was weird in a really wonderful way, and it had one of the most intriguing and original plotlines that I have experienced in a long time. Everything in it, from beginning to end, was interesting. I couldn't get enough of this book.

Aside from the engaging story, the writing itself was beautiful as well. I really loved the way Clarke described the house and the statues. I found myself longing to be able to visit that world and see it for myself. Piranesi's narration was similarly well-written, making him an easy character to root for. It was an absolute pleasure to read this. It was quite different from the writing in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which was purposefully stuffy and full of footnotes. The text in this novel was quite simple, which made the strangeness of the setting come to life. It was all so, so good. It was the perfect fit for me as a reader.

So obviously, I really enjoyed this novel and I'm very glad I made it part of my reading challenge this year. It's a slim little volume and I finished it in just a few days, but I know that the unique story and the beautiful writing will stick with me for a long time. I would definitely recommend Piranesi to fantasy fans that enjoy surreal, unique stories. I'm definitely looking forward to reading whatever Susanna Clarke comes out with from this point forward.

Challenge Tally

22 in 2022: 2/22

Total Books Read in 2022: 10





No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?