About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Pony by R.J. Palacio

 


Pony by R.J. Palacio is a bit of a rarity for me - a pure cover-buy that I didn't actually see in person at a bookstore. I saw a tiny thumbnail of it on Amazon while browsing one day and was instantly captivated by the image of the horse on the front cover. It was so striking that I had to find out more. Of course, I recognized the author's name too, because it's the same person that wrote Wonder, the beloved middle grades book-turned-movie-turned global kindness initiative that everyone adores. This looked quite different in tone to that work though, which was even more intriguing. When the summary revealed that it was a Western with a supernatural edge to it, I knew I had to give it a try. 

The plot of the novel is set in the 1860s and follows a twelve-year-old boy named Silas who lives with his father in Bonneville, Ohio. His father is a boot maker, but is better known for his other work--taking photographs. He pioneered a method for taking pictures that is quicker and more convenient than daguerreotypes, and people travel from all over the country to utilize his services. He is a good father to Silas and the pair of them are happy taking care of their little isolated house on the edge of a vast woods. 

This all changes, however, when four men show up armed and on horseback one night. They demand Silas's father accompany them on a mysterious trip and threaten violence if he does not comply. His father agrees to go, and instructs Silas to remain at home and wait for his return. Silas is frightened and devastated at being left alone. The only other person around is Mittenwool, but that hardly counts, because Mittenwool is a ghost. Silas has been able to see him and speak to him for as long as he can remember, but no one else around him can. Even so, they are close friends. Mittenwool advises Silas to follow his father's instructions and stay put, but all Silas can think about is trying to rescue his dad. 

In the morning following his father abduction, a striking brown horse with a white face and blue eyes appears in front of the house. Silas takes this as an omen that is supposed to use this horse to go and find his father. Mittenwool does not approve of this plan, but he grudgingly goes along. What they discover on their journey will change the way Silas views the world, his family, and himself.

This book was truly fantastic--one of the best I have read in a while. It had me completely from page one. The plot was well paced and engaging, the writing was beautiful, and the characters felt genuine. It was easy to root for Silas and Mittenwool, and of course the horse, known simply as Pony, was a delight (animals in books nearly always are). The overall vibe and style of the book were great too. There are several old photographs and quotes included throughout the text which really helped establish the Old West feeling and contributed to the dark tone. Silas's ability to see Mittenwool and other ghosts blended in surprisingly well with the story and made everything feel heavy and somber. This is the kind of book that it's easy to get lost in, and is just as appealing to older readers as it is to younger ones.

The overall themes of the novel focus on love and relationships, and how these connections endure through time and space. The way Palacio uses the supernatural elements to convey those messages was truly touching and emotional. The ending of this nearly destroyed me. I was near tears throughout the last chapters. I haven't experienced that depth of emotion from a book in awhile, and it was really nice to have that feeling again.

So obviously, Pony is a new favorite for me and I would recommend it to anyone who likes emotional, heartwarming reads. I thought this was weirder, more complex, and miles better than Wonder. I would never have guessed that the same author wrote both. I don't think this novel will ever become more famous than Wonder did, because its subject matter is not as blandly agreeable to everyone, but it is so good though. So, so good. I'm so glad that the cover of this one caught my eye and gave me such a great experience. It was different, lovely, and deep. I can't believe I got this much enjoyment out of a middle grades novel! I look forward to reading more of Palacio's work in the future.


Challenge Tally

Middle Grade Mission: 1/24

Total Books Read in 2022: 2





No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?