About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

June Reading List: Adventure Books



As a teacher, I look forward to June each year like a little kid waiting for Christmas.  It's my time to kick back and relax!  Naturally, that means lots of time snuggled up in bed reading (I'm a real wild child).  What theme could be more appropriate for the season of summer blockbusters and fun than adventure books?  This month, I'm going to focus on stories of courageous heroes and daring feats.  I'm ready to balance on the edge of my seat for the next thirty days! 

I'm a little bit behind in my reading since Owen Meany took me a long time to read last month.  I really need to make up for lost time.  Here's the plan:

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle - This is the very first Sherlock Holmes mystery, and it's my "Classic Detective Novel" for my Back to the Classics reading challenge.  I've had to take two months off from this challenge because my nonfiction and Kindle themes didn't go along with any of my selections.  I'm excited to get back to it!

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas - This classic tale of adventure and revenge is my "Adventure Classic" for the Back to the Classics challenge. 

The Revenant by Michael Punke - This novel of the betrayal and revenge of a nineteenth century frontiersman inspired the movie that finally won Leonardo DiCaprio an Academy Award.  I want to check out the book before I see the film.

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst - This book is a bit weird - it's interactive.  Made to look like an old book, the story is conveyed through writing in the margins and actual notes slipped in between the pages.  I think the process of reading this will be quite the adventure in and of itself - I had to find a tutorial for the best way to read it online!

In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides - This nonfiction book tells the story of the voyage USS Jeanette, a ship on a mission to discover the North Pole.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson - This is officially the third time I've listed this book as something I aim to read.  It's long, so it keeps getting bumped.  Maybe this will be the month I finally get to it! This story of how humans must race to resettle on another planet after a catastrophic event on earth was a Goodreads Choice award nominee last year.

Bonus Round Books:
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

I'm all ready to have an action-packed June!  Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?