About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 2016 Wrap Up



Well, I've made it to the end of my month of reading on my Kindle.  I haven't touched a physical book to read for pleasure in four whole weeks.  Did I go crazy living without the smell and feel of the pages?  No.  Did I gain a whole new appreciation for reading electronically?  Not really.  I found that there are pluses and minuses to both ways of reading.

Physical books feel more substantial in your hands.  Touching pages is more satisfying than touching a screen.  It's easier to flip back and reread sections when you get confused, and you don't have to worry about needing to charge a battery.  It feels comfortable and familiar.

E-readers save a lot of space on your bookshelf.  The percentage in the corner that tells you how much you've read is oddly satisfying to watch as it goes up.  It's easy to highlight sections and pull them back up later.  You can buy almost any book online and instantly start reading it.

I knew all of these things before I started my month-long experiment.

So, looking back, I can say that I became more used to reading on my Kindle this month. I finally read some of the books that had been languishing on it for ages, and I think I succeeded in making e-reading a more prominent option in my mind.  I just don't have an overwhelming preference on which way I like to read.  After all, books are books.  Any way of reading is a good way!

Books Read

The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
The Death Cure by James Dashner
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
The Vanishers by Heidi Julavits
The Girl Giant by Kristen den Hartog
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving


Best of the Month: A Prayer for Owen Meany, The Snow Child, The Girl Giant
Worst of the Month: The Vanishers, The Death Cure


Books I didn't get to, but am saving for later:
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker
Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon
Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern

New Favorites:
A Prayer for Owen Meany


I definitely didn't get to as many books as I wanted to this month, because Owen Meany was quite long.  However, I still count this month as a success because I discovered a handful of truly excellent books!  This does mean I'm a little bit behind though.  I'm glad summer is here because June is going to be the month of catching up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?