About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Friday, June 30, 2017

June 2017 Reading Wrap Up





The month of June has really flown by, hasn't it? I'm pretty sure the passage of time speeds up for teachers during summer vacation. Here's what I managed to read with my extra downtime:


1. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (4/5 stars)
  • Back to the Classics: A classic set in a place you'd like to visit
  • Classics Club: #43 on my list
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned

2. The Odyssey by Homer (4/5 stars)
  • Classics Club: #61 on my list
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned
  • Popsugar Challenge: A steampunk novel

4. Labor Day by Joyce Maynard (4/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book set around a holiday other than Christmas
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned

5. The Girls by Emma Cline (4/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book you bought on a trip
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned

6. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster (5/5 stars)
  • Classics Club: #95 on my list
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book set in a hotel
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned

7. The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman (2/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: a book that's becoming a movie in 2017

My current challenge status is:


I have read 47 books so far in 2017!


I had a lot of highs and lows this month, with everything I read rating fairly high or pretty low. My favorite of the month was E.M. Forster's A Room with a View, which I found to be both charming and emotional. I loved Lucy Honeychurch, the plucky heroine, and really enjoyed Forster's witty writing style. This novel made it onto my Favorites List.

My least favorite of the month was The Diamond Age, a steampunk novel whose ending took a disappointing turn for the bizarre. After investing so much time in this 500 page tome, I felt robbed when it ended nonsensically. 

I have one month left of my summer break. That means I have one more month where I read to my heart's content. I'm not going to waste it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?