About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Monday, July 31, 2017

July 2017 Reading Wrap Up





Another month has come and gone. I know it's not the official end of summer according to the calendar, but the end of July always marks the end of summer for me. I go back to work starting August 1, so my mind is shifting to fall mode. New students and lesson planning are on the horizon, which means that I'm going to have to make it a point to continue reading a little bit each day.

Here's how I did in July:


1. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (2/5 stars)
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned

2. Dune by Frank Herbert (Working on this in chunks with an online reading group - more to come soon!)
  • Classics Club: #47 on my list
  • Popsugar Challenge (bonus category): A book that's more than 800 pages
  • Classics Club: #61 on my list
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned
  • Classics Club: #26 on my list
  • Popsugar Challenge (bonus category): A book with an eccentric character
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned

5. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson (3/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge (bonus category): A bestseller from 2016

6. Colorblind by Tim Wise (4/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge (bonus category): A book about a difficult topic
  • Mount TBR: Previously owned


My current challenge status is:


I have read 52 books so far in 2017!


This month was a bit of a disappointing one for reading. I read a lot of so-so books. The lone standout was Colorblind, which was an excellent analysis of post racial liberalism in America. While I enjoyed it very much, it was a challenging read with lots of complex ideas to ponder. The topic was heavy too, and made me feel sad and frustrated at points. So unfortunately, I didn't have a standout "fun" novel this time around (although Dune has been promising so far). Hopefully I'll find something to fall in love with next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?