About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Sunday, January 31, 2021

January Wrap Up

 


January is coming to a close and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with my first month of reading. I managed to finish 8 novels and read 225 pages of Les Misérables, which I am taking a piecemeal approach to. I found 5 books I am going to donate over the course of the month, so I'm slowly chipping away at the massive amount of books on my shelves. Here's everything I finished:


My best reads of the month were Main Street and The One. While these were both intensely different novels, both offered interesting commentary on society that made me think. my least favorite of the month was Love in the Time of Cholera, which I found to be deeply rooted in misogyny and outdated ideas. 

Unfortunately, while I enjoyed several of the books I read this month, I didn't rate any of them at 5 stars, so I didn't discover any new favorites. Maybe next month.

Speaking of next month, I am hoping to get through a few of the longer classics left on my Classics Club list. Here's my plan:

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin
Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens
Iola Leroy: Shadows Uplifted by Frances Ellen Watkins Harper 
At least two books chosen from my owned-not-read list based on my mood
At least 100 pages of Les Misérables

This will be a big challenge because Winter's Tale and Our Mutual Friend are both absolute bricks and February is a short month. I'm looking forward to reading them, but I'm hoping they won't be too slow to get through. What about everyone else? What's on your TBR list for February?

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?