About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Saturday, April 29, 2017

April 2017 Reading Wrap Up


I was lucky enough to read some really memorable books in April. I managed to get in three classic novels, read a few books I'd been meaning to get to for a while, revisit an old favorite, and find a new favorite. Here's how I did this month:

1. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (4/5 stars)
  • Back to the Classics: A classic by a woman author
  • Classics Club: #79 on my list
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
2. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (4/5 stars)
  • Back to the Classics: An award-winning classic
  • Classics Club: #45 on my list
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
3. The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck (4/5 stars)
  • Classics Club: #45 on my list 
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book with one of the four seasons in the title
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
4. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (3/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge:A book by an author who uses a pseudonym
  • Mount TBR: previously owned
5. Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt (2/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book with a subtitle
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (5/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book you've read before that never fails to make you smile
  • Mount TBR: previously owned 
7. Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner (5/5 stars)
  • Popsugar Challenge: A book with an unreliable narrator
  • Mount TBR: previously owned

My current challenge status is:
I have read 30 books so far in 2017!

My favorite novel of the month was Maggot Moon by Sally Gardner. The unorthodox narration and unsettling plot made for a very engaging and complex read. This is a new favorite for me.

I also liked revisiting Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I really enjoyed looking back at one of my very favorite series, especially with the new illustrations from Jim Kay. I also liked The Man in the High Castle a lot, because it really made me think. I love science fiction that does that.

My least favorite read this month was Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History. It was an interesting read and I certainly learned a lot from it, but it was a bit scattered for me. The humor missed the mark as well.

I'm starting to inch towards the halfway marks of my challenges, which is great, because it's not halfway through the year yet. I'm hoping to keep this pace up in May!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?