About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Friday, December 29, 2017

The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison



My mother loaned me The Silent Wife ages ago and it's sat under my nightstand ever since. She loans me a lot of books, actually, and I never read them in a timely manner. The truth is, we like different things. I'm into classic novels and quirky books. She likes beach reads and bestsellers. I don't say that as any sort of judgement whatsoever; different strokes for different folks, and all that. I would feel bad turning anything she offers to me away though, so I take the books and let them pile up. I currently have a big stack of her novels collecting dust in my room right now. Since I'm trying to move books out of my house in preparation for my move in the fall, I thought it was time to get some of them read.

The Silent Wife is the story of the complete breakdown of a marriage, told in alternating narration between the wife, Jodi, and her husband, Todd. In the first chapter of the novel, it is revealed that Jodi will eventually kill Todd, and most of the story concerns the buildup to that event. The alternating voices do a good job of feeding readers the story bit by bit, with frequent flashbacks filling in the blanks and providing nice character development along the way.

Todd is characterized as a philanderer, who is able to lead a double life without any guilt at all. His affair with a younger woman is the driving incident in the breakup of his marriage to Jodi. He isn't a malicious person, although his actions are undoubtedly hurtful to those around him. Rather, he is self-centered and addicted to the approval he derives from being with multiple women. He can explain away any amount of his terrible actions with his twisted logic. You both hate him and feel a little sorry for him at the same time.  Jodi is characterized as quiet and endlessly patient. She knows about Todd's dalliances with other women, but is able to look past them so long as they don't interfere with her day to day lifestyle. She simply remains silent about Todd's actions and enjoys their lavish apartment, designer clothes, and expensive vacations. She is the perfect housewife, preparing elaborate meals and keeping the household running smoothly. She knows things aren't perfect, but she can live with the flaws. When Todd's latest affair becomes a problem she can't ignore, however, her mind begins working differently, leading the couple towards its inevitable, violent end. 

This structural choices Harrison made in telling this story were highly engaging from page one. I liked being able to put together the pieces as I was reading, and tracking how Jodi, a seemingly normal, intelligent woman, could get to the point where she sees murder as a valid option. The writing was a little more complex and psychological than I was expecting, which was a pleasant surprise. This is one of those books that goes very quickly, because you want to see what the ending will be.

In fact, the ending is really the only thing about this novel that was a bit of a let down. After pages of smart storytelling, the resolution to everything turned on an insane coincidence. It seemed like a cop out to me. I was hoping for something more interesting. Even so, the book as a whole was still enjoyable-I just think the ending could have been better.

The Silent Wife ended up being a pretty good read, so I'll have to thank my mom for recommending it. It's perfect for someone who wants to get lost in a suspenseful, psychological story. Fans of Gone Girl or Girl on the Train will undoubtedly like this one too. I actually read both of those other ones on recommendations from my mom, so she seems to have a nose for these.

I still have six books from my mom stacked under my nightstand just waiting to be read, so this journey into things I wouldn't necessarily choose for myself will continue. Hey, at least I'm starting early on my resolution to clear some books out of my house.


Total Books Read in 2017:80


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?