About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Friday, January 3, 2020

Back to the Classics 2020 - Sign Up Post



The Back to the Classics Challenge is coming back for 2020, and I couldn't be happier! Once the categories were posted, I had a lot of fun thinking of what I wanted to read for it. I'm going to attempt all twelve categories again this year. Here's what I came up with:



1. 19th Century Classic: White Jacket by Herman Melville (1850) - Completed January 2020
I came across a copy of this novel in a huge used bookstore a few years ago. I had never heard of it before that moment, but I liked the cover, and I liked reading Moby Dick in high school, so I'm going to give it a try.


2. 20th Century Classic: The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford (1915) - Completed April 2020
I don't know much about this novel at all. I picked it up several years ago when I was on a classics-buying spree and I ended up putting it on my Classics Club list. Now is as good a time as any to actually read it.


3. Classic by a Female Author: O Pioneers! by Willa Cather (1913) - Completed March 2020
I have heard a lot of positive things about Willa Cather over the years, but I have never read anything by her. This book has been sitting on my shelf since I was a teenager, so it's high time I got around to picking it up.


4. Classic in Translation: The Green Ray by Jules Verne (1882) - Completed January 2020
It's one of my traditions to start off each year with a Jules Verne novel. This will be how I start 2020.


5. Classic by a Person of Color: Black Boy by Richard Wright (1945) - Completed February 2020
I read Native Son last year and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to reading more from Richard Wright.


6. A Genre Classic: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (1954) - Completed June 2020
I'm a huge fantasy fan, but somehow, I have never read the most famous fantasy series of all time. I'm going to try and read the whole trilogy this year, starting with this one.


7. A Classic with a Person's Name in the Title: Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1886) - Completed March 2020
I already planned to read this novel for my Then Versus Now Challenge this year, so this prompt worked out well for me. I have loved all the other Burnett novels I have read, so I am anticipating loving this one too.


8. A Classic with a Place in the Title : The Tenant of Wildfeld Hall by Anne Brontë (1848) - Completed March 2020
This was one of the only books on my Classics Club list that I didn't already own. I recently picked up a very pretty edition of it, so I'm excited to get to read it.


9. A Classic with Nature in the Title: The Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton (1922) - Completed May 2020
Edith Wharton is one of my favorite authors, and I have four different books by her on my Classics Club list. I've only read one of them so far, so I decided to read another one for this category.


I just recently read Ruth by Elizabeth Gaskell, and I had trouble getting through it. I'm hoping to like this novel better.


11. An Abandoned Classic: Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman (1855) - Completed August 2020
This category was tough for me, because it is extremely rare for me not to finish a book. After thinking for a bit, I remembered that I was supposed to read Leaves of Grass in college and I didn't really do it. I'm intimidated by this one, but I'm going to try and get through it for real this time.


12. A Classic Adaptation: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (1962) - Completed November 2020 
Out of all the classics I have sitting on my shelf, I believe this is the only one I picked up because the movie adaptation is so famous. That makes it the perfect pick for this category.


I've got an ambitious lineup this year, but I feel good about it. I'm looking forward to making my way through these books and participating in this challenge for the sixth year in a row.

10 comments:

  1. Well, like you said, you've heard good things about Cather...I second that, especially O Pioneers! It's a beautiful story, and beautifully written. That's Cather!

    Someday I hope to read Black Boy, too, since having read Native Son, which was excellent. I'll have to check out your review once you've read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear - I'm looking forward to finally giving Cather a try. I read so many classics that it's weird I haven't gotten to her yet!

      Delete
  2. Willa Cather is lovely. I've read her O Pioneers. :) AND EDITH WHARTON IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES TOO! I took a peek and see that you have The Custom of the Country on your club list. That's the next one of hers I want to read! My favorite is The House of Mirth. I really want to try one of Elizabeth Gaskell's novels. I have Wives & Daughters on my club list too because I feel that I'll love it. The adaptation is so good I stayed up all night with my mom to see it. :) THE LORD OF THE RINGS IS INCREDIBLE. I hope you love it!! We'll both make it through Whitman hopefully. I've tried three times! I love it, but poetry tends not to hold me for a whole book. I have two long poems on my list for 2020: Whitman and John Brown’s Body by Stephen Vincent Benét. :D Best of luck with these, Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The House of Mirth is my favorite too! I read that one, Ethan Frome, and The Age of Innocence before my blogging days and liked them all.

      I'm thinking that I might split up Leaves of Grass into different chunks and read it over the course of several months. That way, I won't get overwhelmed and can digest it slowly.

      Delete
  3. Excellent choices. Cuckoo's Nest is a hoot. The Good Soldier...no expectations is a good way to begin that one, though the author will give you an expectation in the opening line. Enjoy and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now you've got me really intrigued about The Good Soldier!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to reread the LOTR, but I'm scared of the length. Cuckoo's Nest is great choice for adaptation! Also, there's a good number of us reading Tenant this year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that a few of us were reading Tenant this year. Weird coincidence!

      Delete
  5. Great list! You can't go wrong with Lord of the Rings. I agree with Joseph about 'The Good Solider' although I vehemently disliked this book. It's reputation as a classic is baffling to me. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Intriguing...that makes me want to read The Good Soldier soon so I can see if I agree with you or not.

      Delete

So, what do you think?