About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

True Books 2020



As a reader, I don't discriminate much. I read from a variety of genres and enjoy most things that I try. When I'm choosing books off my shelf though, I definitely tend to gravitate towards fiction novels. I enjoy reading nonfiction, but I really have to make a conscious effort in order to actually read it. I did not make any special effort towards reading it in 2019, and the result was that I only picked up two nonfiction books all year.

I want to do better in 2020, so I'm bringing back my True Books Challenge! I tried this challenge in 2018, and ended up reading more nonfiction in a single year than ever before, even though I didn't quite finish all that I set out to do. This time, I'm changing my rules. Instead of trying to read all the nonfiction on my shelves, I'm going to pledge to read one nonfiction book each month.

Here is what I plan to read. I will come back to this post to link reviews as I complete them:

1. The Miracle and Tragedy of the Dionne Quintuplets by Sarah Miller Completed January 2020
2. Truevine by Beth Macy Completed July 2020
3. Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi - Completed September 2020
4. Prairie Fires by Caroline Fraser Completed April 2020
5. The Witches by Stacy Schiff - Completed October 2020
6. The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater Completed January 2020
7. I Will Always Write Back by Caitlin Alifirenka and Martin Ganda with Liz Welch Completed March 2020
8. Mama's Last Hug by Frans de Waal Completed August 2020
9. They Called Us Enemy by George Takei Completed February 2020
10. The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller - Completed June 2020
11. Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton - Completed November 2020
12. Educated by Tara Westover Completed May 2020

Bonus Books:
13. Black Boy by Richard Wright Completed February 2020
14. Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka Completed February 2020

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea for a reading challenge! I am not familiar with any of these titles other than Black Boy, one of the very few non-fiction works that I have actually read. They called us Enemy intrigues me the most from the your list.

    Are other book bloggers allowed to participate in this or would that be weird?

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?