About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Green Ray by Jules Verne



One of my favorite personal reading traditions is starting off the year with a Jules Verne novel. Something about starting a new year off with a spectacular adventure just feels right to me. I have been doing this for five years now, and so far I have read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Around the World in 80 Days, and The Mysterious Island. My pick for 2020 was The Green Ray, one of Verne's lesser-known works. This one appealed to me because it featured a female protagonist, which was something I hadn't encountered in any of his novels so far. So, on the morning of January 1, I curled up with my cup of coffee and dove in.

The plot of the novel follows Helena Campbell, a young Scottish woman with a romantic mind and a keen sense of adventure. Both of her parents died when she was a baby, and she has been raised by her uncles, Samuel and Sebastian Melville. Helena's uncles love her devotedly, and want nothing but the best for her. Accordingly, they are anxious to secure her a husband now that she has come of age. Unfortunately, they are rather oblivious when it comes to matchmaking, and the settle on a hopelessly arrogant and joyless academic named Aristobulus Ursiclos (the world's best name).

Helena, in an effort to buy herself some time, insists on putting off marriage until she observes a scientific phenomenon known as the Green Ray. The Green Ray is a quick, bright green flash that appears on the horizon just as the sun is setting over an ocean view. Legend says that viewing the Green Ray allows you to know your own heart's desires, including your true love. Unable to deny Helena anything, her uncles agree to travel to a place with a clear view of the ocean so they they can see the Ray.

Thus begins a grand adventure all throughout Argyll and the Inner Hebrides as the little family rushes from one place to another trying to catch the perfect view of the sunset. Along the way, they run into Aristobulus, who attaches himself to the group (much to Helena's dismay) and an adventurous young artist named Oliver Sinclair. The party is continually stymied in their mission by inclement weather, errant birds, wandering clouds, and boats sailing by at inconvenient moments. Every time they think they have the perfect sunset view, something come along to spoil it. Frustrated, Helena insists on traveling to a tiny uninhabited island to view the sunset without the risk of animals or tourists getting in the way. However, a when a powerful squall hits, everyone winds up in a fight for their lives.

The Green Ray is unlike any of the other Verne novels that I have tried so far. It's not science fiction, but it is an extremely sweet and funny adventure containing a lovable and eccentric cast of characters. There were several instances that made me laugh out loud and the quick pacing and copious illustrations kept me totally engaged while reading. This is a shorter novel that just flies by. My version had just 217 pages and it only took me two days to finish.

The Scotland setting forms the backbone of the story, and Verne describes each location the characters visit in very specific detail. I learned from the afterword to my edition that he took a trip there in his real life a few years before writing this novel, and his own journey became the journey Helena and her family take, right down to the boat names and hotel names. It is clear that he was quite moved by the Hebrides, as his descriptions of the islands' beauty go on at length. In fact, his praise was so effusive that it became tiring after a while. This was the one aspect of the novel that I didn't like so much, but Verne stories typically have over-long descriptions, whether it be of cities, nature, or scientific principles. It's part of his signature style and it comes with the territory.

Aside from the descriptive sections, everything else in The Green Ray was enjoyable. Aristobulus, especially, was the perfect heel, and watching him bumble his way into spoiling everyone's view of the ray over and over again was hilarious. Helena's uncles were funny characters as well. They were almost like twin brothers, in that they never did anything separate from each other, and their sweet, if imperfect, efforts to take care of their beloved niece were very sweet. Helena herself was a bit bland, but I did appreciate that she had an adventurous soul and that she found a creative way to dodge her uncles' attempt to marry her off without hurting their feelings.

My favorite part of the whole novel was definitely the ending. I won't spoil whether the characters ever actually see the ray or not, but I will say that what ends up happening is incredibly heartwarming and adorable. This was definitely a lower-stakes adventure than the other Verne novels I have read. However, its cast of friendly, goodhearted characters and its fun, romantic plot make it well worth the time if you're in the mood for a lighter classic. 

So ultimately, I really enjoyed The Green Ray. I wish Jules Verne had cut back a little on his personal vacation notes, but it's a sweet little adventure and I'm very glad I chose it to start off my 2020 reading. Verne was a prolific author and published over 50 novels in his lifetime. I'm not going to run out of titles to start my year with anytime soon, which is a wonderful thing. I'm already excited to pick out another book for next year. 


Challenge Tally
Back to the Classics 2020 (Classic in Translation): 1/12

Total Books Read in 2020: 1




2 comments:

  1. I've read several Jules Verne novels and enjoyed them all, but have never read this one. Your review makes me want to, though. It sounds like a lot of fun. What a great way to start off 2020. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should definitely give this one a shot. It's so sweet!

      Delete

So, what do you think?