About Favorites Classics Club Past Years Past Challenges

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke



One of the more difficult prompts in the Popsugar Reading Challenge this year is to "read a book from a genre you've never heard of before." As an avid reader that picks up a wide variety of different books, I was hard-pressed to find a genre that I hadn't at least heard of before. I turned to the internet for help (as one does in these situations) and stumbled across something called mannerpunk - a genre which blends fantasy elements together with the strict societal hierarchies typical of a Jane Austen novel. Some sources also call this genre "fantasy of manners." While the boundaries between this and other subgenres under the umbrella of fantasy literature are a bit vague, mannerpunk is essentially a fantasy novel, generally set in the past, where magic exists alongside strict societal rules. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell was given as an example of this genre on several websites, and I already owned it on my Kindle, so I decided to give it a try.

The plot concerns two men, the eponymous Strange and Norrell, who work together to bring magic back to 19th century England. The novel is set up like a nonfiction text, complete with copious footnotes, describing the curious history of these magicians as they try to bring practical, helpful magic out of the realm of Merlin and into their modern era. Strange and Norrell are extremely different characters. Strange is adventurous and open, while Norrell is cautious and guarded. Strange wants to tread into areas of magic that have lain undisturbed for centuries, while Norrell wants to discard the dangerous elements of magic from the past and take things in a "safer" direction. Strange wants to train up new magicians to preserve the presence of magic in England, while Norrell wants to be the only magician and gatekeeper of magical knowledge. These differences lead the pair to quarrel frequently, but being the only two magicians in town, they always find their way back to each other in the end. Eventually, both end up dabbling in magic that is dangerous to them and to the world at large, and they must try to team up and set things right again.

This book is surprisingly long (my version had nearly 900 pages), and I experienced a lot of changes in mood while reading. I've endeavored to create a timeline of my thoughts below:

100 pages in: Okay, this is cleverly written - I like the tongue-in-cheek humor and period language. I can't really tell what the story is yet though...and where the heck is Jonathan Strange? It's all Norrell so far...

200 pages in: So...are we ever going to get to Strange? I still have no idea what the overall story will be, and Mr. Norrell isn't incredibly interesting. There are a lot of digressions with minor characters happening too and I have no idea what they connect to...

300 pages in: Oh my god, this story will never end. This is going to take forever to finish!

400 pages in: Okay, I can get through this - I just need some breaks. I'll read another two percent then go get a snack. Another two percent and I'll check my email. Another two percent and I'll clean the bathroom...

500 pages in: Well, now Jonathan Strange has been around for a bit now and he's pretty interesting. I like the differences between the two characters. They both seem like real people, with individual strengths and flaws.

600 pages in: Things are definitely picking up now, and I can start to see where the story is headed. The minor characters' storylines are starting to connect up and I think I know what the overall conflict is now.

700 pages in: Whoa, this is really intricate and well-crafted. All that world-building is starting to pay off now.

800 pages in: Can't. Stop. Reading.

When I finished:This is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Beautiful Complex. Happy. Sad. Everything. I'm in a book coma.   

So obviously, I ended up really liking this novel, but at the same time, I can't recommend it to that many people. The amount of patience required to get through the first half is intense. The beautiful and imaginative ending is well worth the time investment, but few people have the reading stamina to make it that far these days.

If you do manage to power through the slow beginning, you are rewarded with wonderfully strange plot points, intricate connections between characters, clever comments on themes ranging from loyalty to race relations, perfect dry wit, and a resolution that is a near perfect blend of happy and sad. Susanna Clarke's world-building is tremendous. Her magical 19th century England feels fully developed and the mannerpunk elements she crafts are the perfect backdrop for a story about gentleman magicians. The mix of aristocratic stuffiness and fantastical magic was a truly winning combination. Mannerpunk is a genre worth exploring further.

Those looking for a fast-paced story should stay far away, but fantasy lovers looking to sit down and savor an epic tale of manners and magic will fall in love with Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. This novel is well worth the time investment if you have the patience to take it on. While I can't give this novel my highest rating due to the slow beginning, it is definitely destined to become one of my top reads of the year. I'm so glad I chose to explore the mannerpunk genre and that this was the book I chose to do it with.


Challenge Tally
Popsugar Bonus Challenge (a book from a genre you've never heard of before ) 10/12
TBR Challenge (previously owned): 50/60

Total Books Read in 2017: 64



2 comments:

  1. I love this review, and it's encouraged me to persevere with this novel. I got about 20 pages into the story before putting it aside, but really wanted to enjoy it. On the strength of what you say, I might start again and give it another chance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is a slow beginning, but worth it in the end. Good luck with it!

      Delete

So, what do you think?